For Our Future Florida’s mission is to mobilize and empower people and community-based organizations to drive real change and advance our shared progressive agenda. We support racial justice, and we’re working every day to ensure that Florida works for all, not some.
Join us in taking direct action to root out racism, support organizations and causes that work directly with and support the Black community, and help uplift the voices of Floridians. Silence costs lives, and it’s on all of us to join the fight for justice.
We will be updating this page with additional resources as they become available.
In honor of Black History Month, For Our Future FL is partnering with organizations around the state to provide food relief to communities in need during this nationwide pandemic.
Add Your Name
- In November, the $15 minimum wage amendment passed overwhelmingly with 61% of the vote. Now, Republicans are ushering a bill through the legislature that would take away a raise from working Floridians with disabilities and formerly incarcerated citizens. Overturning the will of voters and allowing employers to legally discriminate against workers sets a dangerous precedent. Write to your state legislators and remind them that the people of FL have already spoken: $15 minimum wage for all, not some.
- Communities of color suffer from COVID at disproportionate rates because of lasting systemic racism in our healthcare system. A growing number of people in Florida are relying on unemployment aid, struggling to put food on the table, and facing eviction from their homes. Gov DeSantis has refused to take action. Demand better for our communities and our state.
Organizations to Follow
We are proud to partner and support organizations across Florida that work directly with and support the Black community. Here are some organizations that are doing important work around the state:
- NAACP Since 1909, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has organized to eliminate race-based discrimination and expand equality in politics, education, economics, and so much more.
- FL Rising is a people-powered organization made up of members advancing economic and racial justice across Florida.
- Color of Change is working to challenge injustice, hold leaders accountable, and build power for Black communities.
- Dream Defenders is organizing Black and Brown youth to build power in our communities to advance a new vision we have for the state. Find their FL chapters here!
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Foundation is a no-profit organization based in Jacksonville, FL that’s dedicated to preserving the legacy of MLK and the Civil Rights movement.
- Florida Rights Restoration Coalition is a grassroots, membership organization run by returning citizens (formerly convicted persons). The coalition is dedicated to ending the disenfranchisement and discrimination against people with convictions, and creating a more comprehensive and humane reentry system that will enhance successful reentry, reduce recidivism, and increase public safety.
Black-owned Businesses in FL
One of the best ways to support the Black community is to support Black-owned businesses. Here are some of the businesses our team loves:
Educating ourselves on America’s history of racism is one way we can take steps to undo the damage that systemic racism has inflicted on yesterday and today.
Reading anti-racism literature is a great way to deepen your anti-racist journey, but also make room to support and uplift work by Black educators, activists, and creatives. Find some anti-racist literature here and popular books by some talented writers here.